Tuesday, May 1, 2007

frisbee


so there's this sport that i've discovered since coming to college. and personally, i think it's the best in the entire world. as soon as i decided on my school, my brother put me into "training" saying, "you're not going to go down there and not know how to throw a frisbee." and i've never looked back. i remember my first game of ultimate and i took a time out to stand there and think "holy cow, this is more fun than any human being should have." i remember lacing up my cleats for the first game out on the field. or the first time i caught a hammer in the endzone for the winning point. the first time we got to play in the football stadium underneath the lights. the first time i won an intramural t-shirt thanks to the game. the first time i completely laid out for a catch at the tournament--frisbee brought me all these great memories. and great friends. my team and i are thicker than theives and some of my closest friends.

one of the best feelings is being all muddy and scratched up after a game. i feel like i've actually worked hard when i'm bleeding or grass stained. there's just something about this game that makes my whole day better. disc golf, tossing with friends, and especially ultimate, they all put me in the best of moods. i could play ultimate all day, all night, barefoot or with my cleats and jersey, on the beach or at the gymnastics center; i love that game. where else can you find a sport that requires the endurance and agility of soccer, the toughness of football, the defensive skills of basketball, and the heart of a lion??? girls are as equal as guys out there and are usually the surprise scorers. even when we lose a game, it's not like i really lost, cause i got to play, and for me, that's enough. or when the game is "over" but we still keep playing because we just can't get enough. like the time we started a game mid afternoon and just kept playing til it was too dark to see, not even keeping score anymore, just playing the game.

possibly one of the best days ever was the tournament we had early this spring. we spent eight hours on the field doing what we all love...running as hard as we can up and down a field chasing a 175 gram piece of plastic. we didn't even win the tournament, but laying in bed that night, too exhausted to move with a sunburn on my face was one of the best feelings in the entire world. it really makes me sad that the season's over cause that means i'll have to wait until september to be reunited on that grassy field with my cleats digging in, diving for that catch.

1 comment:

Matt said...

SO true Laura Moore. I love our team and our group.

-Matt